Everyone knows that UV rays can damage your skin. But did you know that it can be harmful to your rugs as well? Your beautiful Oriental rugs may be the statement piece in your living room, dining room or family room, but being exposed to the sunlight that streams through your windows can damage them. No one wants their beloved rugs to develop ugly fade marks or for them to lose the vivid and gorgeous colors that make them unique. In addition, sunlight can ultimately bring down their value as well. UV rays can affect different types of rugs in different ways - depending on the quality of the rug and what it is made of. Some rugs are more resistant to UV rays than others.
For example, rugs that are made of wool can stand up to sunlight better and will not fade as easily. Also, fibers, such as acrylic and polyester, are very resistant to sunlight too. Sun fading will most likely affect colors that have reds as a dominant element.
There are easy (and inexpensive) steps to help protect your rugs from UV fading:
1. It is recommended to close your blinds whenever possible, or lower the shades when you aren't at home during the day, as this will block out the sun's harmful UV rays.
2. You should rotate your rug at least twice a year in efforts to ensure that rug is being used on both sides evenly. This will also guarantee that the rug is exposed to the sun in equal amount on both sides.
3. Add UV tint protection to your windows. There are a variety of window films for different levels of UV ray protection.
4. Don't use UV products because they are made up of heavy chemicals that will harm the surface of your rugs and won't allow them to breath.
5. For an exterior option, awnings can be a great way to provide sun protection and even add some curb appeal to you home.
6. Have your rugs treated with MicroSeal, which helps to prefent fading and staining.
Although large windows let in beautiful, bright light, they will also let in harmful UV rays that will hurt your oriental rugs. Follow the steps above and you will be on your way to safely reducing incoming sunlight by also preserving your favorite rugs! Rug Renovating can also help you prevent UV fading by MicroSealing your rugs. Call today to ask about MicroSeal!